How To Cancel Discord Nitro on Phone and Desktop Effortlessly
Discord Nitro is Discord's premium subscription plan that offers power users access to numerous features and perks, including animated profile pictures, custom emojis, and HD streaming (up to 4K and 60 fps), among others. The plan also comes with custom server profiles, server boosts, and larger file uploads (500MB).
However comprehensive and useful Discord Nitro may be to some users, others might have experienced issues with the service or decided to try out an alternative platform. If you resonate with these reasons and wish to opt out of your subscription, this article will show you how to cancel Discord Nitro on your phone and desktop. You will also learn how to prevent unwarranted charges from other subscription services you want to cancel.
Note that the information in this article was sourced in November 2023. For updates, please visit the official Discord website or contact support directly.
How To Cancel a Discord Nitro Subscription on Desktop (or Website)
If you use Discord Nitro on your desktop or access it via the company’s website, follow these steps to cancel your subscription:
- Launch Discord on your computer and log in to your account.
- Click on the Settings gear icon located at the bottom-left corner of your account's home page.
- Select Subscriptions on the side menu that appears.
- Click Cancel next to your Nitro subscription. A window detailing the perks you'll lose access to after cancellation will appear. Click Continue to proceed.
- Answer the prompt that follows (for feedback) and confirm the cancellation.
You should know that you will be able to enjoy the premium features until your current billing cycle ends.
How To Cancel Nitro Subscription on Mobile
You can also cancel your Discord Nitro subscription directly from your mobile device—Android or iOS—but only if you’ve subscribed through the mobile app. The cancellation steps may differ slightly depending on your device.
How To Cancel Discord Nitro on iPhone
To cancel your Discord Nitro subscription on your iPhone, you should:
- Open the Discord app on your phone and log in.
- Tap the 3 bars icon located at the top left corner of the screen to open the side menu and bottom panel.
- Tap on your profile icon from the bottom panel and scroll to Nitro Settings.
- Select Manage Subscriptions and tap the subscription you want to cancel.
- Tap Cancel Subscription on the next page and confirm it in the pop-up window that appears.
How To Cancel Discord Nitro on Android
Follow these steps to cancel your Discord Nitro subscription on your Android device:
- Log in to the Discord mobile app and tap on your profile picture icon located at the bottom navigation bar.
- Click on User Settings and scroll down to the Nitro section.
- Select the Manage Subscriptions tab and tap on the Cancel button.
- Click Cancel Subscription when directed to the Play Store to complete the process.
Your canceled subscription will appear in your Manage Subscription tab with the expiration date.
Why Canceling Subscriptions Is Sometimes Challenging
The global subscription market is valued at $196.35 billion in 2023 and is projected to hit $1482.11 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 65.8%, according to The Business Research Company. It's a lucrative market that subscription services want to dominate, so most merchants make the cancellation process deliberately difficult. You're typically required to complete numerous steps and prompts, some designed to confuse or persuade you into keeping your subscription.
It may get even more challenging when you have to contact customer support to complete the cancellation process. They may use every trick in the book to keep you subscribed, such as keeping you on the line for a long time, transferring you to different departments, or redirecting you to complete online forms. You might also continue to get charged for the unwanted service during the cancellation process or even after you seemingly succeeded in canceling the subscription.
Fortunately, there is a convenient way to avoid unwarranted charges from sneaky subscription merchants—a virtual card. This card comes with a unique 16-digit card number, expiration date, and CVV, and you can use it for online transactions without exposing your real payment card details, protecting your financial information in case of a data breach on a merchant's servers.
If you opt for Privacy, one of the leading independent virtual card providers, you will also have greater control over how much merchants can charge you and enjoy numerous other control and customization features on top of robust security.
Protect Your Online Payments With Privacy Virtual Cards
Privacy Virtual Cards are linked to your bank account or debit card as a funding source but protect that information from potential hackers during online transactions. These cards come in two variants, as shown in the table below: